The history of our family and business
What is known today as the Impuls Hotel Tirol started life in 1926 as the “Kurhouse Villa Tyrol” and was built by South Tyroleans Marianne and Anton Schmid. The name came from their love for their home, South Tyrol. Back then the hotel, with only a few guest rooms, had its own supply of thermal water – which turned out to be “business gold”.
At that time, the now world-famous Gastein Spa had the family and their hotel to thank for their enormous growth and success.
In the 50s, the house was run by Henriette Lirk (born 1902), daughter of the founder, and her husband and was greatly expanded to become one of Bad Hofgastein’s largest hotels with 85 beds by the 60s. The rooms were equipped with running water and toilets; guests could bathe in the radon bath; and visitors who came to the “Tyrol” in summer for a health holiday usually stayed for at least 3 or 4 weeks.
In 1970 the hotel and its fate were once again handed down to a new generation. Henriette Lirk’s nephew Otto Schmid took over with his young Carinthian wife Rosemarie.
Trained in hospitality, they upgraded and renovated the hotel over the next 30 years. Every room was renovated; a spa department was created and in 1985 came an absolute innovation to the hotel industry: a thermal swimming pool with sauna and steam bath. A new hotel hall and wonderful, large new restaurant were added in the 90s.
The IMPULS Hotel Tirol
Their daughter Bibiana took over the hotel and its management in 2000. Together with her parents, she built the company’s next highlight. The Vital House was built in 2002, complete with outdoor spa, gym, cosmetic department and 10 new rooms. After years of upgrades to the quality of the hotel, 20 new beds were added. The Kurhotel Tirol became the Impuls Hotel Tirol.
Today the hotel is run by Bibiana Weiermayer-Schmid and her husband Mag. Christoph Weiermayer. Steady development and innovation is now the company’s motto. In keeping with their motto, an exclusive spa world was built in 2008 and 2009 saw the creation of a new, one-of-a-kind therapy area.
Sustainable improvement of our relaxation offerings
2011 saw a complete renovation of our main house. An additional floor with 12 new rooms was built. A total of 26 rooms were renovated and our reception area was rebuilt.